What's Hot? Movies.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.


When this movie first came out, my best friend highly recommended it to me; however, it didn't really seem like something I would find that interesting so I ignored her advice until now. Prior to watching this film, I had absolutely no idea what the film was actually about apart from the fact that it was something to do with old British people in India, though I had heard that it's funny so I gave it a shot.

This movie is about a group of British retirees who jet off to India to stay at the Marigold Hotel in an attempt to 'outsource old age'. None of them are particularly impressed with the hotel which had in fact been photoshopped in the brochure, some even less pleased than others, but as time goes on, they all grow and develop and learn to love India.

This film is described as a 'British Comedy-Drama', though I have to say that I didn't find it that funny. Sure, it was amusing, and there were moments that made me chuckle, but nothing really hilarious. The first third of the film is quite amusing as you get to know each of the individual characters and their personalities, but as the film progressed it started to lose the humour and become more about the drama. Personally, I didn't think that there was much of a 'plot', as such, but the character development was interesting to watch.


There is an absolutely brilliant array of talented actors in this film, so I had quite high expectations right from the onset and they certainly did not disappoint. The acting was phenomenal and I loved that they were all British. Dev Patel's indian accent was funny, but accurate and his character is certainly the most loveable of them all. Dame Maggie Smith is an absolutely incredible actress and is one of my favourites. Her character probably underwent the biggest transformation and it really showed that Dame Smith can act just about any character superbly. The other characters included Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson and countless other British actors.


This was a lovely movie, but, it just wasn't exciting enough for me. The acting was superb and the concept was great and I would highly recommend it but it just isn't the sort of movie that floats my boat (which is surprising because I haven't said that about any movie in a long, long time). This film will probably appeal to those who know a lot about either British or Indian traditions, because this film is primarily about the clashing, or coming together, of the two cultures. I liked the portrayal of British and Indian culture and this was the best bit for me. I have never been to India myself; however, I think that they gave a pretty decent portrayal of the vibrant Indian culture. There was lots of hustle and bustle and it was exactly how I imagine India to be. The characters are pretty stereotypical British, old retirees; however, they all react in very different ways to India and their surroundings. All in all, I wasn't expecting anything brilliant and I, personally, didn't really relate to this film at all; however, I can still see that it is a great film that many others will enjoy.

Share this:

, , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. I still haven't seen this movie! I went to my local cinema to see it but the line was that big I didn't get in! Thanks for reminding me to watch it ;) great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)