What's Hot? Books.


Showcase Sunday #18. 

Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Books, Biscuits and Tea. Its aim is to showcase your newest books and to see what everyone else received for review, borrowed from libraries, bought in bookshops and downloaded onto eReaders this week. If you'd like to join, click here.

Bought:


The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling
L'Education Sentimentale by Flaubert
A Sentimental Education by Flaubert
Mot a Mot by Paul Humberstone
Indignation by Phillip Roth
A Certain... Je Ne Sais Quoi by Charles Timoney
Trois Contes by Flaubert
Baudelaire's Les Fleurs du Mal by F.W. Leakey
The Flowers of Evil by Baudelaire
Les Fleurs du Mal by Baudelaire

Went on a bit of a spree buying all the books that I need for university interviews and some extras. So excited to finally own a copy of 'The Casual Vacancy'! All my friends have told me its absolutely incredible, but I'm also quite nervous to read something non-Potter related by Rowling. A Sentimental Education is written by Gustave Flaubert who also wrote Madame Bovary (which I also need to read) so I'm hoping it's going to be really good. I've attempted to read the French version but it is far too confusing so at the moment I'm alternating between French and English copies. I bought 'A Certain... Je Ne Sais Quoi' whilst waiting for the Eurostar at St Pancras on my way to Paris. I haven't read much of it but it's really funny and actually quite helpful in understanding French culture and mannerisms. I picked up 'Indignation' by Phillip Roth in a bookstore in France without realising that it was by an American author. Very, very, very stupid of me given that I read the blurb and went 'oh hey, this sounds a lot like Gatsby, should be cool'. So dumb. Trois Contes is three short stories, also by Flaubert, which are quite interesting reads. If you know a bit of French then these stories aren't too hard to digest but even the English translation is good. Les Fleurs du Mal is some hardcore French poetry which I'd highly recommend. Baudelaire is like the French version of T.S. Eliot so it's full of deep and dark messages about society and the banality of existence - happy stuff, I know. 

What's everyone else received this week? Leave your link in the comments below! :)

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. I really want to read Casual Vacancy, but I am scared! It's so funny that reading a book is scary! Maybe I don't want to risk not liking a JK Rowling book? Or maybe I assume I can only be disappointed by anything that isn't Harry Potter. Who knows!

    www.amysbooketlist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)