What's Hot? Books.

Revelations by Melissa de la Cruz (Blue Bloods #3). 

Revelations (Blue Bloods, #3)Title: Revelations
Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Romance
Publisher: Atom Books
Publication Date: 21st October 2008
Goodreads Summary: Schuyler Van Alen's blood legacy has just been called into question: is the young vampire in fact a Blue Blood, or is it the sinister Silver Blood that runs through her veins? As controversy swirls, Schuyler is left stranded in the Force household, trapped under the same roof as her cunning nemesis, Mimi Force, and her forbidden crush, Jack Force.

When an ancient place of power is threatened in Rio de Janeiro, however, the Blue Bloods need Schuyler on their side. The stakes are high, the battle is bloody; and through it all Schuyler is torn between duty and passion, love and freedom.

Romance, glamour, and vampire lore collide in the highly anticipated third book in best-selling author Melissa de la Cruz's Blue Bloods series.


{ Review }

Possible spoilers for those that have not read the previous two books in this series. You can find my review of Masquerade (Blue Bloods #2) here.

After finishing Masquerade, I quickly moved on to Revelations. Firstly, I'd like to say that the summary of this book isn't very accurate at all. Maybe I was just stupid and completely glanced over this, but I didn't really see much at all about Schuyler being a Silver Blood. I remember it being mentioned in passing, but I certainly wouldn't say that it's a major plot strand in this book. Instead, I would say that this book is a lot more focused on Jack and Schuyler's relationship, but to be honest, not a lot happens here. In my opinion, Bliss Llewellyn is one of the most important characters in this series, she's consistently in the thick of things, usually the cause of it so I don't understand why she is rarely mentioned in the plot synopses. If you've read the past two books, you'll know that Bliss has been having bad dreams and hallucinations and it's clear that something's not quite right. Well, we finally find out what is wrong with Bliss at the end of Revelations, but, for readers with half a brain, it isn't really much of a 'revelation' as it was pretty obvious what, or rather who, she is. Mimi Force is as irritating as ever in this book, again, I don't think she actually did all that much, but there was a lot of narrative from her perspective. She's evidently very pissed off about Schuyler and Jack's relationship and goes about trying to sabotage it. Although Dylan himself isn't featured a lot in this novel, he was pretty damn important to the events that went down at the end of the novel. It's finally revealed what exactly happened to him two books ago and I have to admit I was surprised by this part of story. Although I was surprised, it didn't really have the shock factor that it should've done probably because I think I was a bit bored by this point. So to break it down, in this novel we see more of Jack and Schuyler's relationship, we see Mimi being her usual scheming self, Bliss is still going cuckoo and nobody knows what's going on with Dylan.

The thing that I liked about this book, which was the same for the previous two books and will be the same for the next five I review, is the narrative style. It's written in the third person but in a way so that you still get into the thoughts of each and every character (yay for free indirect discourse). As far as I can remember, the only three perspectives we get, or, at least, the main three perspective we get an insight to, are that of Schuyler, Mimi and Bliss. Again, I think there was a huge level of disconnect between the characters as they all seemed to be doing their own thing, in fact, they was scarce character interaction in my opinion. This, again, was a disappointment, but I'm still hoping that in later novels there'll be more of  a gel between the characters.

As with the previous two book, not a lot actually happens in this novel, it's just all a bit drawn out. I can't help but feel that perhaps this seven book series could have been condensed into a trilogy or something like that if the story lines had been slightly condensed. The good thing about these books is that they're not too long and they're really easy to read; however, I feel that a lot of people may have perhaps been put off reading the entire series just because the plot line as whole doesn't move all that fast. A lot of things happened at the ending of this book and quite a lot of juicy stuff was revealed, but the two hundred pages before that didn't really have much of a purpose and they weren't that entertaining. The last sixty pages are good because what happens is pretty unexpected, at least it was for me, that is until the last few pages when they reveal something that I'm pretty sure every reader already knew, they were just waiting for it to be written down.

If you've been following my reviews, you'll know that my review of this book is a lot more negative than that of Masquerade (Blue Bloods #2) and I think this is because I'm starting to get tired of this series already - and there are still another four, plus a novella, on my shelves waiting to be read, but I shall persevere!

Anyone else read the rest of this series? Is it going to get better or worse?

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)