What's Hot? Books.

Finale (Hush, Hush #4) by Becca Fitzpatrick.

Finale (Hush, Hush, #4)Title: Finale (Hush, Hush #4)
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Genre: YA, Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Publication Date: 23rd October 2012
Goodreads Summary: Will love conquer all?

Nora and Patch thought their troubles were behind them. Hank is gone and they should be able to put his ugly vendetta to rest. But in Hank's absence, Nora has become the unwitting head of the Nephilim and must finish what Hank began. Which ultimately means destroying the fallen angels - destroying Patch.

Nora will never let that happen, so she and Patch make a plan: lead everyone to believe they have broken up, and work the system from the inside. Nora will convince the Nephilim that they are making a mistake in fighting the fallen angels, and Patch will find out everything he can from the opposing side. They will end this war before it can even begin.

But the best-laid plans often go awry. Nora is put through the paces in her new role and finds herself drawn to an addictive power she never anticipated.

As the battle lines are drawn, Nora and Patch must confront the differences that have always been between them and either choose to ignore them or let them destroy the love they have always fought for.

{ Review }

Warning: This review may contain spoilers for those who have not read the previous three books.
Read my review of Crescendo (#2) here.

Finale is the last book in the Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick. At the end of Silence (#3), Nora killed her evil Nephilim father, Hank, but not before swearing an oath to lead his Nephilim army. An oath that will kill her should she break it. The war between the Fallen Angels and the Nephilim is coming to a head as Cheshvam approaches but Nora also promised the Archangels that she would stop the two from going to war. Complicated to say the least. What's more, she's just become a Nephilim, but Patch, her uber hot boyfriend, is a Fallen Angel and she has to pick a side.

From reading other people's reviews, it appears that I was significantly less impressed with this book than other people. I have always said that this is one of my all time favourite series, but I think that my love for it had fizzled out a bit by the time I got round to reading Finale. It doesn't help that it's been a very long time since I read the previous three books and that the last book I read was The Fault in our Stars by John Green which completely blew me away. Don't get me wrong, this book wasnt bad or anything, it just wasnt as good as I was hoping it would be. I didn't feel that excited whilst I was reading it. Patch and Nora's relationship is just as sexy as it always has been, but after three books of their banter, I think I just needed something a little fresher. The plot of this book was interesting, but nothing too exciting. I'm not sure what I wanted to happen but I expected more from the finale of this series (pun intended).

There aren't really that many characters involved in this book, it's mostly about Nora with Patch, Dante, Scott, Vee and Marcie as secondary characters. This book, like the rest of the series, is written from Nora's point of view. I think one of the reason's I didn't find this book that exciting was because Nora isn't the most exciting character. Now if this series had been written from Patch's point of view, that would be another story (quite literally). Although she's now head of the Nephilim army and she has lots of responsibility she doesn't seem to think very interesting thoughts and it was the dialogue more than the narrative that kept me reading. Nora is a lot more independent in this novel and thinks for herself but for some reason I just didn't like her character all that much and I definitely prefer human Nora. I really liked Patch in this novel. He's most reader's favourite character in this series but I don't think any of them could deny that no matter how sexy he is, he can be incredibly frustrating. He didn't bother me all that much in this novel, probably because this time round Nora was the baddie (sort of).

Although this book disappointed my greatly, I couldn't stop smiling at the ending. The ending is predictable but how you get there is not. Quite a lot happens in the last fifty or so pages of the book and there are a few unexpected twists and turns. These twists were quite shocking but I felt that they were glanced over and rushed so I didn't have much time to process them and actually react. There is an epilogue at the end where there are some details about what's going on three years on, but in my opinion this epilogue was focused on the most irrelevant plot strand ever and I would've much preferred it if there was more about what happened to Nora and Patch.

I keep saying that this book wasn't 'exciting'enough, but it was by no means boring. It was certainly a very interesting book that kept reading at a pretty fast pace it just didn't set off any fireworks in my brain or get my heart pounding. That probably doesn't sound very inspiring but for people that have already started this series, I'd definitely recommend that you keep reading until the end and for people that haven't picked up a book in the Hush, Hush series, you really should. The character Patch is something pretty special and will no doubt capture your heart from the very first time you meet him in book one. I think the books get progressively less impressive as you move through the series, but that's only really because book one was so darn good.

Share this:

, , , , , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

3 comments:

  1. I was so impressed with Hush Hush #1 but I stopped reading at the third book because I was getting tired of the way the story was going :(

    I heard some raving reviews about Finale but I guess if I were you, I'd have been tired of the relationship between Patch and Nora too ;) There needs to be some progression!

    Great review, loved it! PS Happy Valentine's xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way! I hate leaving things unfinished though so I had to read Finale anyways. I'm quite disappointed that it didn't win me over as it did with so many other readers but it was a good series nevertheless.

      Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete
  2. I read this series this year because a friend of mine rec'ed, saying it's the best andd whatnot. Well, sadly, I wasn't really impressed. The first book was good but not mind-blowingly good and from then, it went down sadly. Although I finished it, I couldn't really root for Patch and Nora in this last book, it seemed like their relationship needed something big that didn't happen here. And while I hated certain characters in the previous books (khm Scott khm), in the end he was my favorite, so this ending was very disappointing to me. Also I never liked Vee and that twist in the last big scene was unecessary.
    So I wish I would've stopped after the first book, because it was the best in this series. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Leave your thoughts here and I'll get back to you :)